Walters Gardens, located in Zeeland, MI, has been a leading grower of perennial plants since 1946. We take great pride in the superior quality of our young plants and field grown products, diverse product selection, customer-focused staff, our extensive hybridizing program, and the ability to offer the best new introductions from around the world. Check back for new job opportunities which will be posted here.
- 12-week summer internships with flexible start/end dates
- Full-time (40hrs/week) with half-day Fridays
- Competitive pay with monthly housing stipend
Walters Gardens is North America’s leading wholesale grower of perennial plants. As an intern, you will gain invaluable hands-on experience with propagating, trialing, and growing our extensive collection of top-tier perennials. Through rotations including our Greenhouse and Field Operations, Tissue Culture Lab, Virus Lab, and Trials Department, you will work with some of the best and brightest in the industry. We are growing, and we want you to come grow with us!
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter and résumé to Human Resources at email@example.com
Application Deadline: January 31, 2021
Applicants should be a rising senior or recent graduate from an accredited college or university. Majors in Horticulture, Plant Science, or other Agriculture-related fields are preferred.
What You'll Learn
- Moisture and Fertility Management
- Environmental Control Systems
- Plant Growth Regulators
- Integrated Pest Management
- pH/EC Testing
- Crop Scouting
- Soil and Tissue Sampling
- Sprayer System Maintenance
- Pest and Disease Management
- Spray Data Entry
Tissue Culture Lab
- Plant Cloning
- Lab Safety Procedures
- Electronic Lab System Programming
- Lighting Trials
- Bioreactor Propagation
- Sample Collection
- ELISA Procedures
- Virus Elimination
- Elite Stock Management
- Trueness Evaluations
- New and Upcoming Variety Evaluations
- PGR Trials on Plug Material
- Finished Material Production
- Data Collection and Entry
- Key Customer and Influencer Shipments
Downloadable Employment Application PDF:
English En Español
Benefits Walters Gardens Offers:
- 401(k) Savings Plan with company match
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Flex Spending Account (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Company Paid Short and Long-Term Disability
- Option to Purchase additional Life Insurance
- Wellness Program
- Employee Discounts on Company Products
- Family and Medical Leave
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Paid Medical Leave (PML)
- Company Paid Holidays
- Employee Incentive Program
- Employee Events
- Education Reimbursement
- On-site Financial and Mental Health Counseling Services
Regional Product Manager - Northeast
We are currently looking to fill a Regional Product Manager position for the Northeast part of the US. The goal of this positions is to promote Walters Gardens’ product to industry audiences and cultivate relationships with new and existing customers. Candidate can be based in either West Michigan or the Northeast.
Essential Duties Include:
- Oversee the development of customer relationships and sales growth in the Northeast United States
- Service and support customers through various communication methods
- Travel to customers to promote Walters Gardens product and present new ideas, concepts and programs. Time spent traveling, whether to customers or to Walters Gardens, would be 50 – 75%
- Attend industry trade shows and events
- Establish sales goals for the defined territory
- Work with internal Walters Gardens’ departments on product availability and salability
- Support established sales channels
Qualified applicants must have demonstrated ability of:
- Strong communication (both written and oral), motivational and organizational skills
- The ability to maintain a high level of customer service
- Be passionate about people and plants
- Show positive initiative and self-motivation
- Multi-task and manage multiple projects independently
- Achieve in depth product knowledge
- Work as a team with other internal departments
- Solid understanding of, and applicable experience in, the perennial industry preferred
- Working knowledge of various computer programs
- Proven ability to meet and exceed sales quotas
Elite Stock Grower
We are currently looking to fill an Elite Stock Grower role whose primary responsibility is to grow and maintain Tissue Culture motherstock in order to maintain a healthy and true source of stock material for Walters Gardens
Essential Duties Include:
- Organize plants in motherstock area by plant needs.
- Organize and direct plant maintenance (schedule trimming, removing debris, pruning, deadheading).
- Organize stock renewal by taking and sticking cuttings, locating and acquiring new varieties and dividing and stepping up plants
- Monitor and implement best sanitation practices to reduce risk of virus and disease.
- Maintain an updated database of pictures showing the trueness of the stock material.
- Water stock and develop irrigation plan.
- Manage fertility by mixing fertilizers and performing spray applications
- Work with the greenhouse scout to maintain plant health and use biological controls.
- Manage the motherstock inventory in the computer system
- Help coordinate and prepare plants for TC initiation.
- Work with Virus Lab manager to make sure that all stock is tested regularly
- Work with Clean Stock manager to supply cuttings for stock shipments and production stock renewal
- Assist Virus Lab Manager on sample collection and processing
Qualified applicants must have:
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to multitask and problem solve
- Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs and be on your feet all day.
- Ability to use assorted computer software
- Work environments will include a lab setting as well as greenhouses.
- 2 years of greenhouse experience
- 2 years of related college course work
Please send all completed job applications to Becky Oudshoorn in Human Resources:
Walters Gardens, Inc.
Attn: Becky Oudshoorn
PO Box 137
Zeeland, Michigan 49464-0137
Phone: (616) 772-0728
Fax: (616) 741-0097
Walters Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer.