Walters Gardens, located in Zeeland, MI, has been a leading grower of perennial plants since 1946. We take great pride in the superior quality of our young plants and field grown products, diverse product selection, customer-focused staff, our extensive hybridizing program, and the ability to offer the best new introductions from around the world. Check back for new job opportunities which will be posted here.
We are excited to offer paid internship programs during the summer months of May – August. Our goal is to provide you with a comprehensive learning experience that is tailored towards your areas of interest.
As an intern for Walters Gardens, you will be given projects to own and manage while also experiencing many other parts of the business. You will also have the opportunity to attend Cultivate, the industry’s premier educational and networking event, along with participating in company events and touring other industry partners. A monthly housing stipend will be included in the compensation package.
Areas with internship opportunities include:
- Working with our plant health team, you will learn how to track trials such as PGR usage, insect control options or disease prevention. You will also help scout for diseases and insects and monitor pest populations. You will also learn best methods for chemical application and best practices for controlling insects and diseases using biological controls.
Greenhouse Growing and Production
- Our greenhouse internship program will focus on best practices for growing perennial plants. You will work with our growers to learn about moisture levels, watering systems, soil testing, fertilizing and PGR’s.
- This internship will focus on growing plants and keeping them healthy in an outdoor field environment. You will learn how to take various soil samples, how to scout for and control field pests, plant diseases and noxious weed. In addition to plant health duties, you will also participate in our digging, sorting, irrigation and inventory tasks.
Tissue Culture Lab
- “First in the industry” describes our tissue culture lab and the work our intern will study and perform in our lab. The tissue culture lab is a unique fusion of manufacturing and true research and our intern will be responsible for designing and pioneering a novel experiment, then presenting conclusions and financial impact to the lab team.
Internship rotations could also include Sales and Marketing and Trials.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume, indicating their areas of interest, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Downloadable Employment Application PDF:
English En Español
Benefits Walters Gardens Offers:
- 401(k) Savings Plan with company match
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Flex Spending Account (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Company Paid Short and Long-Term Disability
- Option to Purchase additional Life Insurance
- Wellness Program
- Employee Discounts on Company Products
- Family and Medical Leave
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Paid Medical Leave (PML)
- Company Paid Holidays
- Employee Incentive Program
- Employee Events
- Education Reimbursement
- On-site Financial and Mental Health Counseling Services
The Lead Grower’s responsibilities would include:
- After items are moved into your environment, work with Section Grower on establishing irrigation programs to deliver necessary amount of water.
- Conduct plant growth regulator trials and implement rates that have worked, to minimize budding and prevent stem elongation on material coming into your area.
- Review environments and make adjustments multiple times a day through our Priva Environmental Control system.
- Review Greenhouse Processing Reports with Section Grower to determine best methods for working on batches.
- Ensure items in your area are prepared for the shipping department to cover upcoming orders.
- On a weekly basis, generate move lists of items to provide necessary space needed for incoming items from Acclimation range.
- After reviewing soil EC and pH test results from Assistant Grower, make recommendations to Section Grower for adjustments to meet crop needs.
- Help determine growing times and schedules for various items.
- Assist in the hiring, training, managing, and motivating of growing staff.
- Collaborate with Plant Health team on ways to manage insects and diseases.
- Be an active member of the Greenhouse Leadership team.
- Participate with weekend and holiday watering rotations.
- 2+ years of Greenhouse/Nursery growing experience preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture or related field ideal
- Strong organizational skills
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office
- Desire to work in a collaborative environment
Tissue Culture Lab Administrator
The Lab Administrator's responsibilities would include:
- Record, track, and report on processed inventory in Google Sheets
- Communicate regarding new orders and order updates with key persons outside of the department via email, phone call, and occasionally in-person
- Efficiently schedule routine and unique orders using available databases and staff
- Use good judgement to predict order feasibility and to adapt to changes in database functionality
- Audit and manipulate orders to ensure on-time delivery, accurate delivery updates, and smooth internal operation related to media and plant processing
- Report incoming product to greenhouse through a weekly email report
- Update the Google Sheets database to reflect new and updated items
- Advise technician pulling orders based on knowledge of order status
- Coordinate minor initiatives with staff to prepare orders, shipments, and other small tasks
Key Traits and Skills:
- Positive attitude and drive to support the team
- Strong organization, record keeping, and time management skills
- Clear and courteous written and oral communication
- Willingness to propose and pursue logical solutions
- Strong understanding of cause and effect
- Computer skills in MS Office, Outlook, and Google Sheets
- Using handheld scanner to keep track of product coming off line
- Check product coming off production line for quality and consistency
- Coordinate with supervisors to keep smooth flow of product
- Communicate with hauling staff to coordinate movement of product
- Clean work area, machines, tools, and equipment.
- Work on production line as needed planting cuttings and tissue culture material in soil
Greenhouse Group Lead
- Maintain product supply for production staff
- Audit quality on product and procedures
- Adjust work procedures to meet production schedules
- Answer questions from line staff and address personnel concerns
Maintenance Tech 3
We are currently looking for a Maintenance Tech to support our Field Operations by maintaining and fabricating our tractors, trucks and specialized farm equipment.
Essential Duties Include:
- Work with Field Operations manager to prioritize and schedule maintenance on all field equipment including tractors, trucks, and specialized equipment
- Perform all necessary repairs and modifications to field equipment in a safe and efficient manner
- Track and record maintenance records in an organized fashion
- Supervise staff who are working on maintenance projects
- Work with vendors to source and acquire all maintenance supplies
- Communicate project status with necessary staff
- Operate specialized farming equipment
- Be able to learn, understand and become efficient in using our field chart and Yuma and Panasonic systems for recording information
- Follow work lists and work independently on projects
- Positively contribute to and participate in a team environment
Qualified Applicants must have:
- 5 + years related work
- Diesel mechanic experience
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus
- Computer skills in Microsoft office
- Elevated organizational and math skills
- Ability to lift heavy objects
- Some weekends and long days required based on seasonality of the position
- Ability to obtain WG Hilo operator license and operate farm equipment
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects independently
Please send all completed job applications to Becky Oudshoorn in Human Resources:
Walters Gardens, Inc.
Attn: Becky Oudshoorn
PO Box 137
Zeeland, Michigan 49464-0137
Phone: (616) 772-0728
Fax: (616) 741-0097
Walters Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer.