Walters Gardens, located in Zeeland, MI, has been a leading grower of perennial plants since 1946. We take great pride in the superior quality of our young plants and field grown products, diverse product selection, customer-focused staff, our extensive hybridizing program, and the ability to offer the best new introductions from around the world. Check back for new job opportunities which will be posted here.
We are excited to offer paid internship programs during the summer months of May – August. Our goal is to provide you with a comprehensive learning experience that is tailored towards your areas of interest.
As an intern for Walters Gardens, you will be given projects to own and manage while also experiencing many other parts of the business. You will also have the opportunity to attend Cultivate, the industry’s premier educational and networking event, along with participating in company events and touring other industry partners. A monthly housing stipend will be included in the compensation package.
Areas with internship opportunities include:
- Working with our plant health team, you will learn how to track trials such as PGR usage, insect control options or disease prevention. You will also help scout for diseases and insects and monitor pest populations. You will also learn best methods for chemical application and best practices for controlling insects and diseases using biological controls.
Greenhouse Growing and Production
- Our greenhouse internship program will focus on best practices for growing perennial plants. You will work with our growers to learn about moisture levels, watering systems, soil testing, fertilizing and PGR’s.
- This internship will focus on growing plants and keeping them healthy in an outdoor field environment. You will learn how to take various soil samples, how to scout for and control field pests, plant diseases and noxious weed. In addition to plant health duties, you will also participate in our digging, sorting, irrigation and inventory tasks.
Tissue Culture Lab
- “First in the industry” describes our tissue culture lab and the work our intern will study and perform in our lab. The tissue culture lab is a unique fusion of manufacturing and true research and our intern will be responsible for designing and pioneering a novel experiment, then presenting conclusions and financial impact to the lab team.
Internship rotations could also include Sales and Marketing and Trials.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume, indicating their areas of interest, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Downloadable Employment Application PDF:
English En Español
Benefits Walters Gardens Offers:
- 401(k) Savings Plan with company match
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Flex Spending Account (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Company Paid Short and Long-Term Disability
- Option to Purchase additional Life Insurance
- Wellness Program
- Employee Discounts on Company Products
- Family and Medical Leave
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Paid Medical Leave (PML)
- Company Paid Holidays
- Employee Incentive Program
- Employee Events
- Education Reimbursement
- On-site Financial and Mental Health Counseling Services
Regional Product Manager - Northeast
We are currently looking to fill a Regional Product Manager position for the Northeast part of the US. The goal of this positions is to promote Walters Gardens’ product to industry audiences and cultivate relationships with new and existing customers. Candidate can be based in either West Michigan or the Northeast.
Essential Duties Include:
- Oversee the development of customer relationships and sales growth in the Northeast territories
- Service and support customers through various communication methods
- Travel to customers to promote Walters Gardens product and present new ideas, concepts and programs. Time spent traveling, whether to customers or to Walters Gardens, would be 50 – 75%
- Attend industry trade shows and events
- Establish sales goals for the defined territory
- Work with internal Walters Gardens’ departments on product availability and salability
- Support established sales channels
Qualified applicants must have demonstrated ability of:
- Strong communication (both written and oral), motivational and organizational skills
- The ability to maintain a high level of customer service
- Be passionate about people and plants
- Show positive initiative and self-motivation
- Multi-task and manage multiple projects independently
- Achieve in depth product knowledge
- Work as a team with other internal departments
- Solid understanding of, and applicable experience in, the perennial industry preferred
- Working knowledge of various computer programs
- Proven ability to meet and exceed sales quotas
Sales Support Specialist
We are looking for a Sales Support Specialist to assist our sales team in managing internal sales tasks and provide external customer support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Collect and compile data regarding product availability, cost, customer order levels and opportunities for new or increased business
- Develop sales presentations
- Respond to customer inquiries regarding pricing, invoicing, product availability and shipping
- Provide support for key accounts
- Prepare and analyze various sales-related reports and spreadsheets
- Customer communication and follow up regarding current orders and orders not placed
- Maintain spreadsheets for new items
- Communicate with customers regarding pre-release items, promotions, Plant of the Year and other pertinent business information
Skills and Abilities
- Must have a valid drivers’ license and previous experience in a sales environment.
- Knowledge of, or the ability to learn about, perennials plants.
- Must have strong organizational skills, the ability to work independently and the ability to think through the implications of the current task to the next step.
- Occasional travel to industry events may be required.
The Lead Grower’s responsibilities would include:
- After items are moved into your environment, work with Section Grower on establishing irrigation programs to deliver necessary amount of water.
- Conduct plant growth regulator trials and implement rates that have worked, to minimize budding and prevent stem elongation on material coming into your area.
- Review environments and make adjustments multiple times a day through our Priva Environmental Control system.
- Review Greenhouse Processing Reports with Section Grower to determine best methods for working on batches.
- Ensure items in your area are prepared for the shipping department to cover upcoming orders.
- On a weekly basis, generate move lists of items to provide necessary space needed for incoming items from Acclimation range.
- After reviewing soil EC and pH test results from Assistant Grower, make recommendations to Section Grower for adjustments to meet crop needs.
- Help determine growing times and schedules for various items.
- Assist in the hiring, training, managing, and motivating of growing staff.
- Collaborate with Plant Health team on ways to manage insects and diseases.
- Be an active member of the Greenhouse Leadership team.
- Participate with weekend and holiday watering rotations.
- 2+ years of Greenhouse/Nursery growing experience preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture or related field ideal
- Strong organizational skills
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office
- Desire to work in a collaborative environment
Maintenance Tech 3
We are currently looking for a Maintenance Tech to support our Field Operations by maintaining and fabricating our tractors, trucks and specialized farm equipment.
Essential Duties Include:
- Work with Field Operations manager to prioritize and schedule maintenance on all field equipment including tractors, trucks, and specialized equipment
- Perform all necessary repairs and modifications to field equipment in a safe and efficient manner
- Track and record maintenance records in an organized fashion
- Supervise staff who are working on maintenance projects
- Work with vendors to source and acquire all maintenance supplies
- Communicate project status with necessary staff
- Operate specialized farming equipment
- Be able to learn, understand and become efficient in using our field chart and Yuma and Panasonic systems for recording information
- Follow work lists and work independently on projects
- Positively contribute to and participate in a team environment
Qualified Applicants must have:
- 5 + years related work
- Diesel mechanic experience
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus
- Computer skills in Microsoft office
- Elevated organizational and math skills
- Ability to lift heavy objects
- Some weekends and long days required based on seasonality of the position
- Ability to obtain WG Hilo operator license and operate farm equipment
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects independently
Please send all completed job applications to Becky Oudshoorn in Human Resources:
Walters Gardens, Inc.
Attn: Becky Oudshoorn
PO Box 137
Zeeland, Michigan 49464-0137
Phone: (616) 772-0728
Fax: (616) 741-0097
Walters Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer.