Come Grow with Us
Walters Gardens, located in Zeeland, MI, has been a leading grower of perennial plants since 1946. We take great pride in the superior quality of our young plants and field grown products, diverse product selection, customer-focused staff, our extensive hybridizing program, and the ability to offer the best new introductions from around the world. Check back for new job opportunities which will be posted here.
We are excited to offer paid internship programs for May – August of 2020. Our goal is to provide you with a comprehensive learning experience that is tailored towards your areas of interest.
As an intern for Walters Gardens, you will be given projects to own and manage while also experiencing many other parts of the business. You will also have the opportunity to attend Cultivate, the industry’s premier educational and networking event, along with participating in company events and touring other industry partners. A monthly housing stipend will be included in the compensation package.
Areas with internship opportunities include:
- Working with our plant health team, you will learn how to track trials such as PGR usage, insect control options or disease prevention. You will also help scout for diseases and insects and monitor pest populations. You will also learn best methods for chemical application and best practices for controlling insects and diseases using biological controls.
Greenhouse Growing and Production
- Our greenhouse internship program will focus on best practices for growing perennial plants. You will work with our growers to learn about moisture levels, watering systems, soil testing, fertilizing and PGR’s.
- This internship will focus on growing plants and keeping them healthy in an outdoor field environment. You will learn how to take various soil samples, how to scout for and control field pests, plant diseases and noxious weed. In addition to plant health duties, you will also participate in our digging, sorting, irrigation and inventory tasks.
Tissue Culture Lab
- “First in the industry” describes our tissue culture lab and the work our intern will study and perform in our lab. The tissue culture lab is a unique fusion of manufacturing and true research and our intern will be responsible for designing and pioneering a novel experiment, then presenting conclusions and financial impact to the lab team.
Internship rotations could also include Sales and Marketing and Trials.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume, indicating their areas of interest, to email@example.com
Downloadable Employment Application PDF:
Benefits Walters Gardens Offers:
Section Grower - Seed Department
The Section Grower’s responsibilities would include:
- Daily assistance in monitoring seed plugs to determine if it is necessary to irrigate plants based on WG moisture levels.
- Understand growing areas to help manage irrigation boom and growing environments.
- Learn and help manage seeder to make sure seeds are planted uniformly in the trays.
- As seeds germinate, work with others to make sure seed trays are patched in a timely manner.
- Review fertility test results with supervisor and make adjustments to meet crop needs.
- Assist IPM department by identifying insects, crown gall, diseases, or pathogens on seed product.
- Help plant health department with spray applications on seed product.
- Help develop plant growth regulator program for seed plugs to improve quality of product.
- Work with staff on setting up plant growth regulator trials.
- Offer support for the planning of space and duration of items in the seed greenhouses.
- Participate in meetings and educational events when directed by supervisor.
- Assist with weekend and holiday watering schedules.
- When time allows, help other employees/departments complete daily tasks.
- 2+ years of Greenhouse/Nursery growing experience and
- Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture or related field preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish and English plus
- Strong organizational skills
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office
- Pesticide Applicator License beneficial
Interested candidates may e-mail a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send all completed job applications to Becky Oudshoorn in Human Resources:
Walters Gardens, Inc.
Attn: Becky Oudshoorn
PO Box 137
Zeeland, Michigan 49464-0137
Phone: (616) 772-0728
Fax: (616) 741-0097
Walters Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer.